Thursday, July 31, 2008

A very long Steakday

As a note, I should mention that I occasionally go back and add a few things to previous posts (editing them). Such as yesterday, added a few other things I remembered. I've done it a few times already. I'll try to post at the beginning if I've changed previous ones so you don't have to read all of them.

So this Steakday was a very long day. I woke up and did the walk up to campus taking a picture of the beautiful day it was at the beach. Figured out it takes 30-35 min to get to campus and then however far it is to the building in addition to that. But yeah, not too bad...just uphill the entire way. With my nice pace, managed to get that wonderful burn in my legs.
Classes were long starting at 11am and continuing till 7pm with 2 one hour breaks. Below is my schedule and one translated to Eastern time if that helps any of you.











Translated to your time:











Neuropharm today was pretty uneventful. It seems this class is going to be a lot of stuff based on things I've already learned but adding all the pharmacology that goes along with it. So i think it may be some work, but doable considering my background.
The God, Life class was pretty interesting although there came a heated debate during class between some of the students with the professor talking occasionally. Too much of it was semantics and concepts that if they took some time to reason would have either seemed mundane or paradoxical. Directly afterward, we had our tutorial (section) for that class and much of the same debate continued as the two main provokers were in that class. We (other Americans and myself) took a more passive roll as i deemed most of it pointless. At the end of the class the prof assigned our presentations of the reading for the next 7 weeks. I volunteered for next week, thinking I would get it done early.

Got out of class and did some random interneting in the library and then decided to head to the nearest ATM because there are things like...oh, i dunno...books that I need to buy. Unfortunately, the nearest ATM that I wanted to use was a good 20-30 min round trip walk, little did I know. So I get there and and hurrying to get to class. I'm about 10 min late and can't find the room. We finally found them room (met up with some other lost people)...they need better signage around here...and the room was empty. Realizing that there was a room change we now were off to go 1)figure out where it moved to and 2) where that was. So we trek to the new location after I pop open my laptop and get there about 20some min late (it's a 2 hour class...it's ok).
Sports law class was vaguely interesing as we talked/debated about what was sport. He gave us some other background in the second hour and then we headed out for our hour break between that and the tutorial.
James, Chris Hanson (water polo player at Hopkins, for any of you who know him) and myself headed to the ARC office. ARC is kinda like HOP as they do that sorta stuff but you have to become a member ($99) but you get lots of free stuff (backpack, water bottle, planner, 2GB flash drive, $25 at bookstore, 5 free beers at the roundhouse, and many many many many coupons) as well as waiver on fees for joining clubs and free entrance to all ARC events. So most of us though it was worth it an have/will join(ed). Afterward we headed right next door to grab a beer during happy hour at the roundhouse to kill the extra 3 min we had between class. Had an interesting one...half of Toohey's Old and Toohey's New...really good because one's heavy/creamy and the other is lighter...very nice blend. (Sorry, random beer coniseuir coming out).
The tutorial was pretty laid back as we talked about what we were all interested in and what we'd be doing for the semester. The two guys teaching are both very very chill and just enjoy sports and the stuff about it. We also divided up presentations for each week and I volunteered for next week (he said he grades much easier for the first one) and I wanted to get it out of the way. This means I have TWO presentations next week that I have to prepare for...Woot! Ugh...

After class the profs gave me some of the reading I would need for it and then we headed to the busses for Steakday. I went back and dropped my stuff in the apartment and joined James and people in the line. We ate, we talked, it was nice. However, I was exhausted from the day and developing a headache. So I left like 10min before the rest of them, came back did some reading for a while, not wanting to go to bed too early, and headed to bed slightly later.

Picture I took on my way out of my building on my walk to class













Picture of the quad today right outside of the library.

No comments: