Monday, July 28, 2008

First Day o' Classes

The day has come. But before I get into today, just thought I should point out some funny apartment quirks mainly because I just battled one.
#1: As I said before, no dryer. It sucks, we have a laundry rack, because it's cold it takes forever to dry...whatever...we deal.
#2: The fung shui of this apartment is all off. The couches are a little in the way although the seating is nice. Needs to be fixed later date.
#3: Apparently our oven doesn't work. The reason, so it seems, is that the heating element in the bottom...is gone. That's right an oven without the ovening ability. Useful!
#4: Water heat v. water pressure. This one's fun. When showering, as is good for hygiene, it is important to keep a careful eye on where you put the heat of the water, not because of large heat fluctuations, but because the water pressure often goes down with heat. Exhibit A: the other day if I had it on a hot setting it wouldn't have enough pressure to go from the bath spigot to the shower head, but touching it sliiiiightly to the right made it blast out of the shower head. Other times, you can have a hot shower with little to no water pressure and 5 seconds later it blasting out at full force. Strange? Along with the random variations of water pressure comes the design of the shower. it only had a third of the "wall" typical of most showers and there's no shower curtain. Meaning as you shower you have to be concious of where the shower spray is going to avoid having a soaked floor upon exiting.
#5: Lastly, the sink, the one I just battled. Much simpler. Turn on the sink slightly, your fine. Aaaaany more, and you have HYDRO THUNDER!!! What's really fun is making this mistake with a bowl and having it go everywhere. Joy!

Back to the day:
Today I had class at 10am. Nothing too special, just showed up, met the two other study abroad people in my class that i recognized and the lecturer just went over the syllabus commenting on the different things we were going over this semester. This class was "God, Life, the Universe & Everything", more of a philosophical debate kinda class. Apparently the lecturer is an atheist, so it should prove interesting. Afterward I hung around the library before grabbing some lunch and walking back home. The walk back was nice. Gave me something for the 5 hour break I have between my classes on Monday (one at 10am, one at 4pm). So I came back, talked with James for a bit, finished a movie and it was time to head back to campus. This time however, it was niiiiice and rainy (& cold). So instead of walking as I had planned, I bussed it. It was good I left so early because I had the hardest time finding my classroom. It was on the first floor of a building that you enter on level two...but for the life of me I couldn't find the stairs. After about 5 min of searching, I asked a cleaning lady who had trouble understanding me, and she pointed to the stairs directly behind her (I felt like a moron...yes, it's a common feeling). Went down stairs, had even more trouble locating the room, finally ducked into an unlabled room right around where it should be and asked the indian girl in there where it was. It was that room.

Zarrah (I think that was her name) and I talked for a bit before her friend Nicole (I think) showed up. They talked for about 10 min, and no professor or the like showed up. I got up to leave and wound up getting into a 40+ min conversation with those two about a lot of different thing from Majors to skiing. Around 5, those two had another lecture to attend so I walked out with them and headed back in the rainy weather to the bus stop, waited about 30 min for it and eventually got back. Our plans for tonight were to go to see Dark Knight at the Sydney IMAX but it was apparently sold out for the 9pm showing. So we bought tickets for tomorrow at 6. I will let you know how that goes. I threw together some chicken and pasta for dinner while we watched a few epsidoes of Entourage. Now, with our newly aquired internet in the apartment, I will post this blog entry. We still need to get a router, but for now we are just rotating who gets the connection.

Note on the internet we got: I swear it's magic. The modem we got only has a power cord. It doesn't plug into the wall or anything to get internet it just wirelessly receives it. No idea how or where...but it does. The company is called Unwired, which makes sense, but still....weird. (I'm convinced they shoved a mini Harry Potter inside)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha HYDRO THUNDER!!!! I love it. Perhaps you should make a conscientious effort to use forks rather than spoons....should make eating cereal fun :)