So last night we crashed early after the pizza party (say 9ish) and consequently I woke up around 5:30am. Being fully awake, I realized that it was a full 8 hours of sleep and instead of fighting to get back to sleep decided to get up and go for a walk. So it was still dark outside...Orion was in the sky and I decided to do the Coogee to Bondi walk. Now if you do a google map, you will see that this is no small distance. It was far, really far, really really far. It was a multi-hour walk, and the cooler part was that it was all on the water. You basically walked a path along the cliffs and coves right along the ocean. Now even though it was 6am, apparently this stretch is a spandex highway in the mornings, only getting worse as I got close to Bondi. There were some amazing sights. The cliffs, the waves, the colors of the sun trying to rise, the beaches, the trees...breathtaking. So I walked and walked and came to realizations of how amazing Sydney is. Yes, I know it's kinda repetative, but it's the best of all terrains: mountain, ocean, beach, city, forest, etc. So right as I hit the lifegard station to turn around at Bondi Beach, the sun crested over the clouds above the cliff edge. It was one of the sights where you expect choirs of angels. Overall, very calm relaxing walk.
When I got back it was time to grab a quick shower, pack, head downstairs and move into the apartment. After helping a few others move into theirs, I was delivered to my humble abode. Here I met one of my roomies, James (he's from Boston and goes to BC). We talked for a bit after Merlin left and got to know each other a bit while I unpacked and settled in. The apartment itself doesn't overlook the water (I'm on opposite side of building), and is a little old but still nice...I mean...it's on the beach. Almost all the building is study abroad kids which is good for getting to know lots of other people...the networking has begun between people who know people who introduce other people that they know to people of people of people....yeah you get the point. The apartment itself has a nice sized TV...almost like Mike's but a tad smaller...a washer (no dryer) typical kitchen stuff and some other random things. It's got a single and a double. I'm in the double and James is in the single.
Round 11:30-12 he headed out for a run and I headed to the bus station to meet some of the IES kids to go on a shopping trip to the Westfield Mall at Bondi Junction. Now this mall was HUGE. Five stories, multiple large mega stores, huge numbers of smaller boutiques, and some other key differences. Cultural Observations 4-7: First, there are actual grocery stores in the mall there, complete with fresh produce and cooking supplies. There are also bakeries, meat markets, and other smaller specialty food kinda stores. Second, the Target here is NOTHING like the target back home...like...wow. There is no way to explain it. Third, the prices here are MUCH higher. Let me offer some exhibits and explainations. As I said before, food appears to be much pricier because of worked in amounts, but its even a little more than that. Other commodities are also pretty expensive. Having to buy sheets, I obtained a base-line, target-bought flat sheet for $28, fitted sheet for $28, and pillow cases for $13. Clothing is even worse (which is bad because I wanted to supplement my wardrobe). Jeans here can be anywhere from $80-~$200. I picked up a pair of $195 Nikes today as well. Ocasionally you see decently priced stuff but it seems to be on clearance racks or in stores having 70% off sales. Oh well, off to the cheap-o, feaux-designer markets for some supplies.
Basically all I got was some linens, toiletries, detergent and a new phone. Aparently the Piccell one I got before coming here has very high prices and often lead to astronomical phone bills. Instead they have other phone companies that you basically do prepaid "minutes" and just recharge it. You actually just pay a fee (e.g. $30 or $50) for a certain amount of money for calls (e.g $130 or $310 respectively) and calls can be anywhere from 18-32+ cents per 30 seconds. It's weird, yes, but it's cheaper. Also weird is the fact that it cheaper to call the States than anywhere around here (18c vs. 32+c). Kinda nice though. Also get free incoming calls from anyone, so feel free to call me (just keep in mind the time change people). Will send out number.
Post shopping I came back to meet my other roomie who had just arrived in Sydney, Matt (goes to Duke). I dumped my stuff and helped he, his twin, and a fellow Dukie get money and some stuff from around the area. I then joined back up with the mall shopping crew to go try one other shopping run (this is where i saw the nikes and jeans). We were trying to go that feaux market in China town but it was closed by that time so we went to the actual mall like thing above it. Victor found some decently priced shoes he wanted, but we'll have to go back for the rest. We ate some good Japanese in the food court and headed back via bus.
Got back here to find buch of people in the apartment that James knew from the IES pre-semester trip to the Reef. We went around town for a while then back to one other girl's apartment that I know. Her (acutally their...Aliza, Aubrey, & others) apartment is SWEEEEEEEEEET...it puts mine and all others to shame. 6th floor, corner apartment VERY nice inside fully furnished LOTS of space and convieniently overlooks both beach and ocean. We went there to watch a movie and hang. Came back here made a few phone calls. Went to bed.
When I got back it was time to grab a quick shower, pack, head downstairs and move into the apartment. After helping a few others move into theirs, I was delivered to my humble abode. Here I met one of my roomies, James (he's from Boston and goes to BC). We talked for a bit after Merlin left and got to know each other a bit while I unpacked and settled in. The apartment itself doesn't overlook the water (I'm on opposite side of building), and is a little old but still nice...I mean...it's on the beach. Almost all the building is study abroad kids which is good for getting to know lots of other people...the networking has begun between people who know people who introduce other people that they know to people of people of people....yeah you get the point. The apartment itself has a nice sized TV...almost like Mike's but a tad smaller...a washer (no dryer) typical kitchen stuff and some other random things. It's got a single and a double. I'm in the double and James is in the single.
Round 11:30-12 he headed out for a run and I headed to the bus station to meet some of the IES kids to go on a shopping trip to the Westfield Mall at Bondi Junction. Now this mall was HUGE. Five stories, multiple large mega stores, huge numbers of smaller boutiques, and some other key differences. Cultural Observations 4-7: First, there are actual grocery stores in the mall there, complete with fresh produce and cooking supplies. There are also bakeries, meat markets, and other smaller specialty food kinda stores. Second, the Target here is NOTHING like the target back home...like...wow. There is no way to explain it. Third, the prices here are MUCH higher. Let me offer some exhibits and explainations. As I said before, food appears to be much pricier because of worked in amounts, but its even a little more than that. Other commodities are also pretty expensive. Having to buy sheets, I obtained a base-line, target-bought flat sheet for $28, fitted sheet for $28, and pillow cases for $13. Clothing is even worse (which is bad because I wanted to supplement my wardrobe). Jeans here can be anywhere from $80-~$200. I picked up a pair of $195 Nikes today as well. Ocasionally you see decently priced stuff but it seems to be on clearance racks or in stores having 70% off sales. Oh well, off to the cheap-o, feaux-designer markets for some supplies.
Basically all I got was some linens, toiletries, detergent and a new phone. Aparently the Piccell one I got before coming here has very high prices and often lead to astronomical phone bills. Instead they have other phone companies that you basically do prepaid "minutes" and just recharge it. You actually just pay a fee (e.g. $30 or $50) for a certain amount of money for calls (e.g $130 or $310 respectively) and calls can be anywhere from 18-32+ cents per 30 seconds. It's weird, yes, but it's cheaper. Also weird is the fact that it cheaper to call the States than anywhere around here (18c vs. 32+c). Kinda nice though. Also get free incoming calls from anyone, so feel free to call me (just keep in mind the time change people). Will send out number.
Post shopping I came back to meet my other roomie who had just arrived in Sydney, Matt (goes to Duke). I dumped my stuff and helped he, his twin, and a fellow Dukie get money and some stuff from around the area. I then joined back up with the mall shopping crew to go try one other shopping run (this is where i saw the nikes and jeans). We were trying to go that feaux market in China town but it was closed by that time so we went to the actual mall like thing above it. Victor found some decently priced shoes he wanted, but we'll have to go back for the rest. We ate some good Japanese in the food court and headed back via bus.
Got back here to find buch of people in the apartment that James knew from the IES pre-semester trip to the Reef. We went around town for a while then back to one other girl's apartment that I know. Her (acutally their...Aliza, Aubrey, & others) apartment is SWEEEEEEEEEET...it puts mine and all others to shame. 6th floor, corner apartment VERY nice inside fully furnished LOTS of space and convieniently overlooks both beach and ocean. We went there to watch a movie and hang. Came back here made a few phone calls. Went to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment