Made it here. All in one piece. Woot! The flight was LONG...lemme repeat...LONG. In total about 26 hours of traveling. The last flight which lasted an eternity was about 13+ hours long. They showed four full length feature films, some TV shows, I watched two of my own movies and still had ample time to sleep. Thank you mom for getting me the 5 extra inches of leg room.
Another fun traveling note was my close encounter with what I would consider the "Home Alone" airport scene. Let me paint you a word picture. Imagine Wade searching furiously for a place to store his enormous bag on the plane, finding none and decided to have it checked. Now, I assumed that I would get the bag back right after I got out of the plane. So I walk up the front and was like "Bag?"...the responded "Baggage claim"...wade: "BAG?!".
Now here's the fun part. My layover in LAX was about 2 seconds long. In other words, the other flight was boarding when I got off my plane. So I hurried down to the other and explained that my bag was check, heading for baggage claim, and more importantly had my passport in it. They explained that I HAD to have it and to basically run. Wade begins sprinting down the terminal to the baggage claim. I wait anxiously for it to come out grab it now to find that I have to go through security again. T-minus 10 min or less till plan departure. Pleading with people to let me cut them, I whip off clothing (shoes, belt, anything in pockets) almost wanting to dive through x-ray myself and unpack my bag into little plastic trays. I quickly pack and dress dropping half my stuff including secure money pouches on the ground as I SPRINT back to the gate. It's two minutes past when the plan takes off. I get there, out of breath, chuck my boarding pass and passport at the woman very disorderly and haul my butt onto the plane. Long long long plane ride ensues.
But I'm HERE!!! and it's amazing. The weather is cool and a bit breezy but crystal clear skies and beautiful places. The water is a crystal blue, and I can see where I will be living. Pictures will be posted below. I met Merlin (our IES guide) and he's amazing and very cool for a guide type of person. They gave us nice rooms, food, calling cards, plug converters, etc. I got in and had some breakfast and a shower. We've had some downtime, so I called people did some walking around the beach (forgot camera on walk, sorry), and just had our "welcome to sydney meeting". At noon, we're going on a bus/walking tour of Sydney going to see the opera house, going to the talest building to see the city, going to the bridge and i think something like a harbor cruise.
Will post more later when I remember anything I've forgot, have gotten more pictures, or have more going on.
(Internet connection not good right now...stealing it from somewhere...will post pics later)
Another fun traveling note was my close encounter with what I would consider the "Home Alone" airport scene. Let me paint you a word picture. Imagine Wade searching furiously for a place to store his enormous bag on the plane, finding none and decided to have it checked. Now, I assumed that I would get the bag back right after I got out of the plane. So I walk up the front and was like "Bag?"...the responded "Baggage claim"...wade: "BAG?!".
Now here's the fun part. My layover in LAX was about 2 seconds long. In other words, the other flight was boarding when I got off my plane. So I hurried down to the other and explained that my bag was check, heading for baggage claim, and more importantly had my passport in it. They explained that I HAD to have it and to basically run. Wade begins sprinting down the terminal to the baggage claim. I wait anxiously for it to come out grab it now to find that I have to go through security again. T-minus 10 min or less till plan departure. Pleading with people to let me cut them, I whip off clothing (shoes, belt, anything in pockets) almost wanting to dive through x-ray myself and unpack my bag into little plastic trays. I quickly pack and dress dropping half my stuff including secure money pouches on the ground as I SPRINT back to the gate. It's two minutes past when the plan takes off. I get there, out of breath, chuck my boarding pass and passport at the woman very disorderly and haul my butt onto the plane. Long long long plane ride ensues.
But I'm HERE!!! and it's amazing. The weather is cool and a bit breezy but crystal clear skies and beautiful places. The water is a crystal blue, and I can see where I will be living. Pictures will be posted below. I met Merlin (our IES guide) and he's amazing and very cool for a guide type of person. They gave us nice rooms, food, calling cards, plug converters, etc. I got in and had some breakfast and a shower. We've had some downtime, so I called people did some walking around the beach (forgot camera on walk, sorry), and just had our "welcome to sydney meeting". At noon, we're going on a bus/walking tour of Sydney going to see the opera house, going to the talest building to see the city, going to the bridge and i think something like a harbor cruise.
Will post more later when I remember anything I've forgot, have gotten more pictures, or have more going on.
(Internet connection not good right now...stealing it from somewhere...will post pics later)
2 comments:
BWAHAHAHAHAH! What I wouldn't give for the LAX surveillance camera footage of your baggage claim adventure.
Me too! Would have made a great posting on the internet.
Post a Comment