OK, so today was quite possibly the strangest day known to existence.
Let me begin. So I get up this morning nice and early around 9am. I grab a bowl of cereal and do some light reading. Around 10 I start getting ready for my 12pm class. Shower, shave, etc. and throw some clothes in the laundry to dry for the entire day (&@#%! no dryer). I hop on the bus thinking that walking will makes me late (even though I have to wait 15 min for the bus that is just chilling down the street). Strange event #1 happens: I saw the Australian Clone of Mrs. O'Rear (for all of you in charleston who know her) on the bus. Anywho, class today was, again, uneventful. Briefly went over syllabus and then did a quick lecture (today was my Neuropharmacology class...the hard one). Seems like I know the fundamentals of the class so I'll just be building on the pharmacology point of view, which shouldn't be bad since I just have to pass.
After class, I hoped on a bus to Bondi Juction because we needed a router for our apartment. So I get on the 400 bus and decide to meander a bit before I go into the actual Mall. I stop in a little book store figuring I'll be done with this Eragon book soon and need the sequel or something else. This is where Strange Event #2 happened: A man in a bookstore, on the other side of a short bookcase from me, had his hands in and around his head just laughing, hysterically laughing...for no reason. Kinda disconcerting, really weird. I guessed it was some sort of psychological disorder. So I exited, strolled a bit and found a cafe and grabbed this really good BLT (not ordinary...had an egg on it, but whatever). While sitting there, the dog of a customer slowly crept toward me till it was essentially staring me down. I finished my food and started petting it and it was wholy uninterested. While sitting there I also enjoyed the Strange Event #3: A guy simultaneously tapping his foot for a drum, playing the guitar, and playing the didgeridoo. Talented. Wish I had taken a pic. Also while walking I had Strange Event #4: There are STILL world youth day people around here. Still in circles playing music and dancing. Kinda crazy. Couple of them stopped me today in the mall trying to get me to go to some meeting.
So I went into the mall got a router and a pillow since the pillow they gave us was essentially A feather...yeah, you try contorting one feather to the shape of your head. Milled around a bit and then got on the bus to head back to the apartment. Lo and behold, Strange Event #5: This one takes the cake. A guy (who was with a group of friends--guys and girls) pissed on the bus. That's right...he pissed either on the back of a seat or on the floor in the back of the bus. One of the men across the way (2 rows behind me) saw him and pushed him against the window and was like "WTF?!...get off the bus!" Yeah...I don't know. The two behind me who took an active roll in the incident seemed to think they were Irish, but I couldn't tell. So, talking about it the whole way home, I eventually arrived and then started telling the roomies about a thus eventful day. But it gets better.
So I met up with Jason downstairs and we headed out the the bus stop to go to see the Dark Knight at the Worlds largest IMAX. We got great seats at almost center on the 2nd to top row. It was &#@! rediculous. 1) It was a great movie 2) IMAX made it even better...the visuals were great, any city scape footage made you feel like you were flying through the city and 3) the sound alone was worth it. There were parts that made your bones rattle a bit. Shockingly good performance. Having loved the movie we headed toward food/bus. Jason left me and Mike to head back home while Mike and I explored for food. It seemed as though most of the restaurants we spotted that seemed good were either closed or too expensive. Eventually we stopped at one. We thought it was called Fitzy's Cafe, but it was instead an Indonesian restaurant called Tendra(?) I think. So the prices seemed decent but the way it worked was a little confusing. I call this one Strange Event #6: Basically how the restaurant worked is that you go up to a little bar, pick out which sticks of meat you want (chicken, beef, fish, shrimp, chicken liver, squid, other strange things) and tell them how you want it cooked. Then you order whatever else you want, they bar-b-que it and bring it to you. I got a stick of beef and chicken and a thing of rice. Mike got some Indoesian Ramen. Now figuring out how to order the sticks was hard enough, but they also gave Mike chop sticks for the ramen (which he had no idea how to use. So it was EXTREMELY FUNNY. We were so totally lost in how to work this resaurant it was amusing.
We exited after successfully conquering our meals. Mike then remembered that we could get buy one get one free Gellato with our IMAX tickets so we headed back to Darling Harbor to get some gellato. It was amazing and we got there right before it closed. By this time many of the people back home were heading out to the city so we decided to meet up with them after our gellato.
So the place to be on Tuesday night is Scruffy Murphey's. They have $7 pitches of Tooey's New, which is a great deal considering Aussie prices. So Mike and I headed there and met up with many people each of us knew, Aussies and Americans alike, and introduced each other. So we were standing around and I was wearing the newly purchased UNSW sweatshirt (jumper as they call it) and these random guys approach me. Strange Event #7: So this random guy starts staring at my sweatshirt, grabs me, turns me around to look at the back. He backs off for a second and a few moments later he approaches me and says something to the effect of do I play rugby because that's his team (pointing at the UNSW insignea). I said no, but he kept talking. Couldn't understand most of what he said, but he and the other guy he was with start feeling me up essentially. They grabbed my biceps, shoulders, chest and generally were testing my frame. Very very weird. Then one of them said "push on me", I responded with "huh?" and he repeated "push on me". Going in a rugby fashion I pushed on him with decent force trying not to kill the girls behind him. Making this long story shorter, the guys essentially were recruiting me for the Rugby team. They said that I was built for it and could make a nice recruit. So he gave me his number and told me to call him tomorrow. I don't know what to expect. (it's kinda like getting a girls number...the whole do I call, when and what the hell do I say?...cept its a rugby team). So the one team I was NOT planning on trying out for I might be recruited to...go figure.
So a bit more of some live and DJed music, some pitchers, and other random meanderings later, Mike and I headed to the bus stop to catch a ride home.
Today was rediculous, I have no idea why it happened. I'm blaming it on the fact I wore my "this is my party shirt" today. I'm sure that's not all the details, but I tried to remember the main events. Here are some pics of the day as well to try to give you an idea.
Mike looking confused on how to eat this dish
Me with finished stick of meat. Behind me is the bar of random sticks that you had to chose from. Very very strange style.
Me and two of the rugby players (can ya tell?). There's one more beside the camera (the first one to approach me) who's a bit bigger. Crazy night...
Oh, I forgot one! Strange event #8: Today while walking from the bus stop to my apartment (after the pissing incident), I walked across the park in front of Coogee Beach. I stopped to talk to Jennessa (in the place near the bus stop surrounded by pigeons) and continued diagonally across the grass. I look back and there are about 15 pigeons FOLLOWING ME! No idea why, and not just a short distance....the ENTIRE WAY. Creeped me out. Soon as I hit the path, they stopped though, thank god.
Forgot Another one! Strange event #9: Didn't think of it for a time but I just saw it on my pictures. There was a full (broad) rainbow right as we left on the bus to go see Batman. It spanned the entire beach from one end to the cliff right near where I live. Very pretty.
Other half I didn't see till we were on the bus.
Let me begin. So I get up this morning nice and early around 9am. I grab a bowl of cereal and do some light reading. Around 10 I start getting ready for my 12pm class. Shower, shave, etc. and throw some clothes in the laundry to dry for the entire day (&@#%! no dryer). I hop on the bus thinking that walking will makes me late (even though I have to wait 15 min for the bus that is just chilling down the street). Strange event #1 happens: I saw the Australian Clone of Mrs. O'Rear (for all of you in charleston who know her) on the bus. Anywho, class today was, again, uneventful. Briefly went over syllabus and then did a quick lecture (today was my Neuropharmacology class...the hard one). Seems like I know the fundamentals of the class so I'll just be building on the pharmacology point of view, which shouldn't be bad since I just have to pass.
After class, I hoped on a bus to Bondi Juction because we needed a router for our apartment. So I get on the 400 bus and decide to meander a bit before I go into the actual Mall. I stop in a little book store figuring I'll be done with this Eragon book soon and need the sequel or something else. This is where Strange Event #2 happened: A man in a bookstore, on the other side of a short bookcase from me, had his hands in and around his head just laughing, hysterically laughing...for no reason. Kinda disconcerting, really weird. I guessed it was some sort of psychological disorder. So I exited, strolled a bit and found a cafe and grabbed this really good BLT (not ordinary...had an egg on it, but whatever). While sitting there, the dog of a customer slowly crept toward me till it was essentially staring me down. I finished my food and started petting it and it was wholy uninterested. While sitting there I also enjoyed the Strange Event #3: A guy simultaneously tapping his foot for a drum, playing the guitar, and playing the didgeridoo. Talented. Wish I had taken a pic. Also while walking I had Strange Event #4: There are STILL world youth day people around here. Still in circles playing music and dancing. Kinda crazy. Couple of them stopped me today in the mall trying to get me to go to some meeting.
So I went into the mall got a router and a pillow since the pillow they gave us was essentially A feather...yeah, you try contorting one feather to the shape of your head. Milled around a bit and then got on the bus to head back to the apartment. Lo and behold, Strange Event #5: This one takes the cake. A guy (who was with a group of friends--guys and girls) pissed on the bus. That's right...he pissed either on the back of a seat or on the floor in the back of the bus. One of the men across the way (2 rows behind me) saw him and pushed him against the window and was like "WTF?!...get off the bus!" Yeah...I don't know. The two behind me who took an active roll in the incident seemed to think they were Irish, but I couldn't tell. So, talking about it the whole way home, I eventually arrived and then started telling the roomies about a thus eventful day. But it gets better.
So I met up with Jason downstairs and we headed out the the bus stop to go to see the Dark Knight at the Worlds largest IMAX. We got great seats at almost center on the 2nd to top row. It was &#@! rediculous. 1) It was a great movie 2) IMAX made it even better...the visuals were great, any city scape footage made you feel like you were flying through the city and 3) the sound alone was worth it. There were parts that made your bones rattle a bit. Shockingly good performance. Having loved the movie we headed toward food/bus. Jason left me and Mike to head back home while Mike and I explored for food. It seemed as though most of the restaurants we spotted that seemed good were either closed or too expensive. Eventually we stopped at one. We thought it was called Fitzy's Cafe, but it was instead an Indonesian restaurant called Tendra(?) I think. So the prices seemed decent but the way it worked was a little confusing. I call this one Strange Event #6: Basically how the restaurant worked is that you go up to a little bar, pick out which sticks of meat you want (chicken, beef, fish, shrimp, chicken liver, squid, other strange things) and tell them how you want it cooked. Then you order whatever else you want, they bar-b-que it and bring it to you. I got a stick of beef and chicken and a thing of rice. Mike got some Indoesian Ramen. Now figuring out how to order the sticks was hard enough, but they also gave Mike chop sticks for the ramen (which he had no idea how to use. So it was EXTREMELY FUNNY. We were so totally lost in how to work this resaurant it was amusing.
We exited after successfully conquering our meals. Mike then remembered that we could get buy one get one free Gellato with our IMAX tickets so we headed back to Darling Harbor to get some gellato. It was amazing and we got there right before it closed. By this time many of the people back home were heading out to the city so we decided to meet up with them after our gellato.
So the place to be on Tuesday night is Scruffy Murphey's. They have $7 pitches of Tooey's New, which is a great deal considering Aussie prices. So Mike and I headed there and met up with many people each of us knew, Aussies and Americans alike, and introduced each other. So we were standing around and I was wearing the newly purchased UNSW sweatshirt (jumper as they call it) and these random guys approach me. Strange Event #7: So this random guy starts staring at my sweatshirt, grabs me, turns me around to look at the back. He backs off for a second and a few moments later he approaches me and says something to the effect of do I play rugby because that's his team (pointing at the UNSW insignea). I said no, but he kept talking. Couldn't understand most of what he said, but he and the other guy he was with start feeling me up essentially. They grabbed my biceps, shoulders, chest and generally were testing my frame. Very very weird. Then one of them said "push on me", I responded with "huh?" and he repeated "push on me". Going in a rugby fashion I pushed on him with decent force trying not to kill the girls behind him. Making this long story shorter, the guys essentially were recruiting me for the Rugby team. They said that I was built for it and could make a nice recruit. So he gave me his number and told me to call him tomorrow. I don't know what to expect. (it's kinda like getting a girls number...the whole do I call, when and what the hell do I say?...cept its a rugby team). So the one team I was NOT planning on trying out for I might be recruited to...go figure.
So a bit more of some live and DJed music, some pitchers, and other random meanderings later, Mike and I headed to the bus stop to catch a ride home.
Today was rediculous, I have no idea why it happened. I'm blaming it on the fact I wore my "this is my party shirt" today. I'm sure that's not all the details, but I tried to remember the main events. Here are some pics of the day as well to try to give you an idea.
Mike looking confused on how to eat this dish
Me with finished stick of meat. Behind me is the bar of random sticks that you had to chose from. Very very strange style.
Me and two of the rugby players (can ya tell?). There's one more beside the camera (the first one to approach me) who's a bit bigger. Crazy night...Oh, I forgot one! Strange event #8: Today while walking from the bus stop to my apartment (after the pissing incident), I walked across the park in front of Coogee Beach. I stopped to talk to Jennessa (in the place near the bus stop surrounded by pigeons) and continued diagonally across the grass. I look back and there are about 15 pigeons FOLLOWING ME! No idea why, and not just a short distance....the ENTIRE WAY. Creeped me out. Soon as I hit the path, they stopped though, thank god.
Forgot Another one! Strange event #9: Didn't think of it for a time but I just saw it on my pictures. There was a full (broad) rainbow right as we left on the bus to go see Batman. It spanned the entire beach from one end to the cliff right near where I live. Very pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment