Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wade Goes to NZ

The day has arrived for Wade to go to New Zealand. Woke up and packed my stuff at Alex's place (promptly forgot my shoes as they informed me as I was in a cab heading to Coogee). Went to Coogee and helped Marlis move her and my stuff from her place to Alfreda. Was quite a bit of shit as she was storing my stuff her stuff and a bunch of other stuff she has accumulated from others. Wound up just ordering two cabs to move it all. So then I caught my cab to the airport round 4pm or so.
Got to the airport to stand in a large queue for check-in. When it opened and i got to the front...fun began. The lady asked me for my name and I gave it to her with my passport. She then asks me for my visa. I told her that it's electronic and attached to my passport. She says she needs a printout. I panic slightly, but we move on to point two...the return flight. "Do you have your return flight ticket" "not on me. can you look it up? I think it's with you" "not with us." shit...
I promptly start making a few phone calls to get people to check online for me which it is. Turns out it was jetstar so I head down to to that counter to get a printout. Also realized that Mom so conveniently tucked a copy of my visa in my passport holder. Again, mom knows what's she doing. Went back to counter. Finally got cleared after woman punched in a small novel into the computer. On to Customs!!!
Cleared that fairly quickly, then passed up duty free for the plane. Didn't have much time anymore before flight.
Sat next to this really interesting girl on the flight. She was from the US as I saw her passport as she was sitting down. Struck up a conversation. She currently lives in the OC and hates everything about it, although her alternative where her mother lives is Utah...not much better. She was really into swing dancing and was just coming back from some sort of swing thing in Sydney. Currently she's working as a live in nanny in Auckland so free accommodation and food for a chance to live in NZ. Pretty sweet deal. The conversation really began to pick up upon the conversation switching to movies. We truly connected on the realm of shitty movies. Conversation starter: her, "although i have to say my all time favorite shitty movies are the Tomb Raiders"......YES!!! Conversation follows about litany of movie collections and debates on shittiness or epicness of movies. Good convo overall.
We both wind up being on the same shuttle into the city. Auckland is officially suburbia on crack. It's just endless expanses of suburbia. I got to my hostel around 2am check in and did the whole quietly sneak into hostel room with 7 others sleeping to find that the only bed left is the top bunk and that there's no room on the ground for your stuff. Whatever, i passed out.

No comments: