Today was a pretty chill day overall. I say day there for a very specific reason. So today we got picked up in the morning in Rotorua and made our way down to Waitomo. We stopped first at Te Puia, this really cool little park with geysers and such and some cool Maori stuff including some wood carvings and weavings that were pretty amazing. We stopped afterward to get my refund from the Maori dinner and then continued on. Next stop was Zorbing.
OMG!!!!
Zorbing was fantastic. Whoever thought it was a great idea to make a human hamster ball with water in it is a certified GENIUS. You try to stand as you are pushed down this zig zag path but it is impossible. Instead you just kinda surf around in a washer machine like fashion in the bottom of this ball. I apparently caught air. I say apparently because in the ball you have no idea which direction is which. I tried to take a video with a waterproof camera inside but failed. Do have a few interesting picture and videos to go with though. Alex and kim didn't want to do it so they went to this funny farm show instead. Lame if you ask me, but apparently it was good.
We continued on where we stopped at this random extreme adventures place where they had a few different things all in one such as bungy, swings, jet boating, simulated skydiving, etc. Didn't do any as I didn't find the appeal. Instead just ate the free sausages they gave us.
When we got to Waitomo we were dropped off immediately at the black water rafting place for the 8 of us that were doing the Abyss tour. It was a great group. We had team Sweden (Axel and Nickolas), Alex(g), Alex(b), Team UK (Josef and Adam) and Sarah. We got geared up which took a while. We wore: bathing suit, wet suit, booties, plastic boots over booties, wet suit jacket, shorts, helmet, harness, and harness accessories. Tad hard to move afterward. The took us to the spot where we practiced the rappel we were going to do and then went into it.
SAAAHHHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
Prolly one of the coolest things I have ever done. Period.
We started off with at 34 meter rappel on a sheer rock face after squeezing through a hole. Went down pretty fast too so that was even more fun. I went first on about every element to the trip so it made it more unpredictable and more crazy. Got down to the bottom and waited there with my light off looking up at a few glow worm in the top of this massive cavern. We then did intros and headed to the zip line. The hooked us in, turned out all the lights, and sent me zipping into the darkness with tons of glow worms overhead. Very cool. I was jerked to a halt and there were two huge bangs. Later discovered they were the result of the first guide trying to fuck with me. He didn't succeed. They gave us some hot tea and these really good honey oat bar things for snack and then distributed the tubes for the "rafting" bit. The entrance to the rafting bit was jumping off a 10ft+ cliff into the water below with the tube on your butt, landing on it so as not to break your legs or something awful. Whoooo! The rafting bit was more floating. We just pulled ourselves along on still water using a rope and looking up at the glow worms. Very cool. We discovered how to tow each other by hooking feet into rafts which made more fun chain. We doubled back and redeposited our tubes. From here on it was just trekking by foot. We ventured through the caves for over a kilometer (i think it was 1.5 or so) floating, climbing and exploring. Couple cool parts to go through including tight spaces and a headfirst slide. Later on they stopped and gave us hot tang and chocolate (tasted fantastic even though hot tang sounded weird at first). Past that was climbing up waterfalls (very very very cool, kinda difficult too) and also meeting Cecil the eel that has her own pond. She came right up when the guide summoned her over and just kinda chilled there looking at his finger in the water. I thought she would pounce, but she never did. She must have been at least a few feet long too. Over more waterfalls and out!
Hot showers and soup greeted us back at the base and we purchased a few photos since they were cheap and cool. Chilled out there then headed back to check into the hostel. Again, reception was closed but we got someone to check us in. I got a pretty sweet room with one of the Brits (Adam) that was this two story condo like thing with two beds, bathroom and closet on ground floor and two beds upstairs. I grabbed the free one downstairs, Adam the free one upstairs. Dropped our stuff and headed to the kitchen.
I volunteered to make food for the night since we missed dinner with the others. I prepared the Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo for the 8 of us, delicious! and then we went over to the bar for a while. Californication was on their way to drunkenness with this around the world challenge thing of 12 beers and you get a free mug afterward. We had our nice perch to the side and the rounds began. Later round 2am, Adam and I peaced for bed after escaping Alex(b)'s blockade of the door as we were supposed to stay with him and complete the challenge as well. We get back to our sweet room and one guy is in the bed next to mine gently snoring. We part and head to bed. At this time, Andrew, as I later discovered was his name (but hereafter referred to as "Kid") woke up and began to talk to me and introduce himself. Thus begins the night....
Disclaimer: most of this is on the lines of verbatim and thus uses strong language :D If this offends you or are worried that your son/brother/relative/friend is over abusive. I assure you it was all necessary/useful. (and it adds to the drama of the story)
He talked FOREVER!!!! My god this kid could just chat about anything. I'm face down in bed, eyes closed only talking on occasion to not be completely rude or asshole like figuring he would get the message, apparently not. I discovered he's from Oz in Brisbane off traveling on Contiki tours in NZ then off to Hawaii, he seems young. He's also been working at the Coles (grocery store back home). I'm guessing this kid is like 18-20 years old. Still he's friendly, but clueless.
I finally feign asleep (a skill mom and the sisters perfected in my younger years). He shuts up. Bout that time roomie 2 rocks up loud and drunk. He's Canadian and all about going to this party. He tries to convince Kid to go with him. He also realizes I'm there and goes "who the fuck is that?" I introduce. He also discover Adam is upstairs. This upsets him because "that is [his] bed" We tried to simply explain that there were two beds and he took the empty one as is normal hostel procedure. He's beyond reckoning at this point and just pissed and wanting to party. He leaves in frustration. Kid talks a bit more, i try to sleep. Canadian (his codename) returns about 30 min or so later, just enough to interrupt sleep right before you get there. Carbon copy earlier episode here. This time he tries to convince the other dude strongly to come with him. Kid is now getting afraid of Canadian and "doesn't like him any more" and says that "he's starting to scare me." Canadian leaves. He returns 30 min later, random girl comes in and leaves promptly. He assaults Kid again and is still pissed about his bed, I tell him to leave him the hell alone and go to bed. He has hissy fit over bed again saying that his stuff was up there and on that bed, he can't sleep in that bed, or something redic, Adam even clears off his bed (not kindly, I might add) and this dude still can't handle it. Dude leaves again. Round 4-ding ding ding!
This time Canadian return with two other drunk assholes. He and another proceed upstairs to hassle Adam. Third one remains downstairs to hassle me and Kid. Other asshole comes downstairs and both start into it with me saying that I shouldn't even be there. The start edging closer, getting a tad more aggressive. I tell them to back the fuck off. One even lightly grabbed my arm. They are tyring to egg me on saying "come on, hit me in the balls." What sane minded man would every say this I don't know. I turn over in bed and ignore them. This last all of a minute or two before they gathered renewed vigor and ripped my sheets off. Mother and sisters can attest to the fact that this never sits well with me. It is a personal pet peev and turns me from nice to raging asshole in .3 nanoseconds. Wade gets pissed (like legit pissed). Luckily about a min later Canadian dude came down and diffused the situation a bit. Apparently Adam had laid out the facts a few trickled through his thick skull. He tried to talk to me and explain that if I had told them that we were on Kiwi Exp or something then it would have been OK. He kept talking about shit. I cut him off and told him "hi, i'm on Kiwi, no go the fuck away". This did not sink in. I repeat the idea that I don't want to talk to him and that he needs to leave my bed stat. He eventually takes his pals with and vacates for the night. Kid in the mean time has been hiding under his covers. That's right...hiding under his covers. After this he emerges and tries to make some talk about the situation. The funniest of his statements was along the lines of "I wouldn't of let them hurt you guys. If they come back they will have to go through me before they can get to you" I laugh internally trying not to shatter this poor boys world. He's already voiced that he doesn't want to be here, shouldn't have gone on this tour and wants to go home. He then proceeds to talk to me more. I say one or two comments, and then go full play-dead. He shuts up. Some bad, short sleep and it's 6:45. I hear a bus outside start up. Kid has told me he has to get up at 6 something for his bus, I have to pee. I nicely wake him up, tell him the time. He proceeds to get ready and try to carry out a full conversation with me of Goodbye's even though my entrance to the bed was a full on flop. He talks at full voice and packs noisily. He turns goes to turn in his key. While he's gone a knock at the door. Contiki guide comes and asks me "Hey are there two of you from Kiwi staying in here?" yes "And reception put you in here" yes "and you have keys to this room" (clearly)...yes. He leaves. *Flop* Kid returns and says goodbye. I stupidly have already given him my email in the first hour of the night so he explains that he will email me on Dec 11th blah blah blah....my god what have i done. He proceeds upstairs to wake up Adam and say goodbye and hopefully swap emails. This kid has nerve. Adam deflects gracefully. He takes his wheely bag and leaves. Canadian returns and gathers his things silently, I hear him rummaging about the room and getting things. They both leave.
REJOICE!!!! Adam and I are just victoriously gloating that they are finally gone. My god!! Lemme also explain that our bus doesn't leave till 10am so our thought was go to the bar late, get a nice comfy nights sleep in our sweet place, wake up late, get a nice long hot shower, board bus....All completely ruined by these two. So we get about 1.5 hours of glorious uninterrupted sleep before my 2nd alarm (the "o shit" alarm) goes off to tell me the bus is leaving in 15. We gather and throw on clothes. I go to get my bathing suit off closet door handle where it has been drying and it is GONE! I'm like "surely no...no one steals a bathing suit" i look around thinking it has been misplaced. I look in trashcans thinking that he may have angrily thrown it somewhere else. It is nowhere to be found. The fucker STOLE my bathing suit!!!!
Raragh!!!
I proceed to tell this store about 12x over the next day in between glimpses of sleep on bus and on couches. Luckily while sorting the stuff the day before with Kiwi, they actually gave me a refund for that night too.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment